Monday, February 1, 2010

3D Layered Butterfly


This was one of the first stamps I bought when I began stamping. It is made by Holly Berry House Originals, the stamps is called Lady Lace. I love the look of this butterfly and what you can do with it. Medallion stamps are great because there are plenty of possibilities for layering and the 3D look you can create is so beautiful.

 

For this project you will need: 5 different colors of card stock, Versa Mark watermark stamp pad, gold embossing powder, a heat tool, Twinkling H2O's, Stickles, 3D Dots (thick), white card stock, cloud stamp kit, and a shadow box.

  

Emboss the butterfly onto the 5 colors of card stock.

  

  

  

Decide how you want to layer your butterfly according to the colors you choose. You need to have a base, which is the complete butterfly. With your remaining four butterflies, you will cut them from large to small. That way you create a layered look. For these four don't worry about the antennas, you can cut them off because the antennas will be on your base butterfly.

  

Place your layers on top of each other that way you have an idea of what your butterfly will look like.

  

I used Twinkling H2O's to paint the detail of my butterfly. You can use markers or anything you have on hand to add color to your layers.

 

  

  

The next step is to pretty much cover your top layer (the smallest) with Stickles. Be careful with the H2O's because it tends to run when you apply Stickles on top. Make sure to not spread too much on the painted parts. Apply Stickles on the rest of the layers. I only apply where the next layer will be seen. No need to cover the whole butterfly.

  

  

 

Sorry but at this point my camera ran out of batteries and couldn't continue to take pictures. Follow these next steps to build your 3D butterfly. 

Cut your base layer to your desired size. I added another piece of card stock behind it to frame it up. When your stickled butterflies have completely dried, take your butterflies and fold the wings in from the sides of the butterfly's body. Then use your fingers or a pencil to curl the wings and give it shape. Use your 3D foam adhesive dots to place on bottom of largest butterfly layer. I put one on the head, body and bottom part of butterfly. I applied it to the base layer being careful to place it precisely to match up with your base. Continue to do this for the rest of your layers. Before I applied my top layer (smallest) I decided to cut the head off, that way you can see the next layer's head instead. You can choose to keep the head if you'd like. I chose not to keep it because I wanted the focus of the top layer to just be the wings. 


  

I made the background paper using my Stamping in the Clouds Stencil Kit. I used white card stock that was already embossed with swirls and stenciled on my clouds. I love the look this kit creates. It's always fun to make pretty clouds! I also added some crystal stickers to the swirls of the antenna's.

  

  

  

  

Insert layered butterfly into your shadow box and your 3D layered butterfly is complete!!

 

I made four of these 2 years ago for Mother's day. The recipients of these butterflies absolutely loved their gift :)

7 comments:

It's Jenn! said...

This is amazing! I will most definitely be trying this....wow!

Carrie said...

You are so creative, I want to try to make this for my MIL for her upcoming birthday! TFS!!!!!

Carrie

DtsArt said...

WoW It is just beautiful

Kelly said...

This is stunnnnnning.

Crystal Alves-Tusim said...

this is no joke! It's perfectly stunning

Anonymous said...

WOW - georgeous! I may have to buy this so I can try to make some of these. Would be great for door prizes at a RV rally. Thanks so much for sharing.

linda4_2

Rach1fun said...

Awesome!!!!!